Squaw Valley located in Olympic Valley, California recently responded to the news that the water supply at this famous resort has been contaminated and small traces of E. coli and coliform bacteria were detected in the drinking water at the resort’s upper mountain. This was in fact discovered by the resort itself and was handled accordingly from the beginning. Since the first report of this potential health risk on November 8, 2016 – the resort has quickly taken every precaution necessary to ensure that its guests are not in any danger. The resort is still open for vacationers and they are providing free bottled water to all guests until the current water issue is back to normal and meets all the required testing standards. However; the restaurants at upper mountain have remained closed, and the skiers are being asked not to drink any water other than the bottled water that is being given out at no additional costs to the skiers.
Placer County Environmental Health was notified from the beginning and has been working together with Squaw Valley to quickly resolve the water supply issue. They have reported that the tests being performed have been showing study improvement and that this is just a temporary situation that will be resolved as quickly as possible. No health issues have been reported at this time and skiers have been enjoying the famous resorts mountains as normal.
In a statement released on Wednesday, November 30th, 2016 by Public Relations Director of Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Liesl Kenney stated the water supply was impacted by an unusual heavy rain storm back in October. In fact, several water systems were affected in Placer County. During the summer at Squaw Valley, an upgraded water system was installed at High Camp and Gold Coast, which the heavy rain impacted the new system and that resulted in the contamination of the water supply. This was the only system affected at Squaw Valley and at no point was this water made available to the public.
They immediately consulted with leading water safety experts and contacted Placer County Environmental Health and the Squaw Valley Public Service District when their routine testing detected there was an issue with the water supply. Steps have been taken to address this issue with the help of these agencies and they will continue to work together until the water in this system is back to normal. They will not be using their regular water system at High Camp or Gold Coast until they are fully assured by the health officials and the other experts that are assisting with the situation, that the water supply is indeed safe again.
They are taking this issue very seriously and their top priority is the safety of their customers. As always, all safety issues at the resort are always top priority. They extended a thank you for the assistance from Placer County and the cooperation from the experts involved. They will update all guests accordingly as soon as this issue has been fully resolved.